Around the world, governments and corporations are cracking down on emission standards for motorized vehicles forcing auto manufactures to adapt to future demands for more eco-friendly and cost effective solutions. The adaption of hybrid vehicles is being continuously modified to meet these requirements through their dual purpose as partially electrified vehicles while using internal combustion engines.
The basic principle with hybrid vehicles is that the ICE and electric motors supplement each others limitations:
- The electric motor is more efficient at producing torque, or turning power, and
- The internal combustion engine is better for maintaining high speed
Switching from one to the other at the proper time while speeding up yields a win-win in terms of energy efficiency.
The unique nature of the 48V mild hybrid system is that it can be added to an existing ICE platform with minimal additional cost or intrusion allowing auto manufactures to transition an existing vehicle to a hybrid system and gain efficiency. This option also has the added benefit of having a safe operating amperage that is not dangerous when contacted.
Learn more about 48V technology and its basic operations through Valeo's on demand webinar. This thirty minute webinar highlights:
- Global powertrain group and market insights
- Reasoning behind the 48V technology and its components
- Tools to assist with diagnosis and repair
- Current and planned applications in the market today
To learn more or to view the webinar, click here.